Reed 5T is our first appearance in the tangential tonearm domain. Featuring unique design, innovative technological solutions and high quality, and dedicated to a true audio passionate, it is one of the most advanced tonearms we have ever made.
When you awake from the surprise of tonearm “independence” and start listening, first you find that distortion at the beginning and end of the LP record field that is usually tolerated, does not exist. Then you will stop testing and you just enjoy the perfection of reproduction and stay enchanted by listening. You can hear a stability and accuracy of localization, the space of reproduction does not change and everything is great whether you are listening to contemporary music, jazz or rock. Reed Muse 1C turntable with 5T tonearm and top quality cartridge moves the playback of analogue record to the edge of its limits! Stereo/Video 12/2018
Reed 5T technically is a tangentially tracking pivoted tonearm. It’s working principle is based on Thales’ theorem (if the center of a triangle’s circumcircle lies on the triangle then the triangle is right, and the center of its circumcircle lies on its hypotenuse) and the rule, that given three non-collinear points, it is possible to draw only one circle that has finite radius and passes through all three. (Fig. 1)
- P1, O1, P3 – Thales’ semicircle,
- Angles P1-A1-P3, P1-A2-P3, P1-A3-P3 are 90 degrees each,
- Segments A1B1 = A2B2= A3B3 represent length of a tonearm,
- B – Tonearm vertical axis,
- P2 represents a center of circle, drawn through three points – B1,B2 and B3 (tonearm rotation axis),
- P3 – Linear Sensor Array,
- BP3 – Laser beam.
Arm tube suspension system is similar to one used in Reed 2G tonearm, and the tonearm’s turning part is based on low noise thrust-sleeve bearing. For angular rotation of tonearm we designed and built limited rotation sectional torque motor. Tonearm’s position is controlled by laser and linear sensor array.
Reed 5T has user-replaceable arm tube – feature, which allows to change tonearm’s effective mass yourself. Tonearm also has VTA and azimuth adjustments.
Reed 5T has following advantages if compared with pivot tonearms:
- Smaller moment of inertia,
- No need for anti-skating mechanism,
- Max tracking error is +/- 5 Minute of Angle (MOA). (Figure 2). Pivot tonearms usually have max tracking errors up to 1.5 deg.
Reed 5T’s advantages compared to other tangential tonearms:
- Few times smaller moment of inertia,
- No need for complicated additional devices (air compressor),
- Compact and sleek design.
- Effective mass in both vertical and horizontal directions is similar
|Mounting distance||251 mm (platter diam.max.= 330 mm)|
|Tracking error||+/- 5 Minute of Angle (MOA)|
|Effective mass||10-16 g, depending on armwand material (replaceable armwand)|
|Height adjustment||compatible with 28÷48 mm height platters|
|VTA adjustment||precision +/- 0.2 mm|
|Azimuth adjustment||+/- 8 deg|
|Downforce range||10÷30 mN (cartridge mass 5.5 g – 19.5 g,(4.0 g – 25,0 g))|
|Traction||Limited rotation sectional torque linear motor|
|Voltage||direct 12 V, using battery power source Reed Source 12V|